Often, many people go to a solarium to get a bronze hue. But does it make sense to spend a lot of money and time going there when you can do the session right at home? A face tanning lamp will help. It will assist to even out your complexion without leaving home.
Let’s explore all the features of a device, highlight important points when using it and how to properly tan at home.
What is a face tanning lamp?
A face tanning lamp is a device that emits UV rays comparable to sunlight. But in comparison, the gadget has better results and speed of appearance, which is especially good for those who need to get a tan faster.
Tanning lamps are available that have both UVA and UVB radiation, or the two of them sometimes. UVA rays penetrate deep into the skin and have a wavelength of 315-400 nm, while UVB is not that far but has more energy and makes tanning faster with 290-320 nm.
A face lamp usually helps tan the countenance and décolletage area, depending on the type of device. It is important to note here that home and professional gadgets, which are available in salons, have some differences (external and internal characteristics), which means they need to select the right for home use. By the way, the Heliotherapy Institute has shown exactly which tanning lamps are best to use. Using the right machine, you can safely and easily get the golden skin tone you want.
How does a tanning lamp work?
When the device is plugged in, it begins to make UV rays, which produce melanin. In turn, it affects the pigmentation of the skin, and the more of it in the body, the darker our dermis will be.
UV rays penetrate the layers of our skin, producing pigment like the sun. So the effect will be the same. But it can also mean that if you overexpose your epidermis to the device, it can get burned. Therefore, it is important to read the instructions for the lamps and our tips below to avoid unpleasant moments and get the desired effect.
A face tanning lamp is a unique machine with many positive features to create a beautiful tan on the countenance and not only. Here are the main ones:
- The right healthy tan
As mentioned earlier, the action of the lamp is similar to the sun, but there is an opportunity to produce more melanin with less damage to the skin and its aging. It is also worth noting that while these tanning devices are safe, they should still be used along with sunscreen. For people with a sensitive or fair epidermis, this is important for your protection. This will help secure you from excessive exposure to rays and burns.
- Produces vitamin D
Together with melanin, our bodies produce vitamin D. It is important for the health of bones and the human immune system. If insufficient amounts of this supplement are produced, chronic diseases can develop and the number of common colds can also increase. The best way to get vitamin D is to take sunlight, but you can also get it from a face tanning lamp. Although it is produced in small amounts, along with supplements, this will be able to give you a daily allowance of the nutriment.
- Supports mental health
The mental state has a serious impact on a person’s quality of life. Accordingly, its deterioration will harm your well-being and body functioning. It often manifests through memory lapses, slowed thinking and speech, and a lethargic and sleepy state. Yes, a lamp cannot completely combat all symptoms, but it can improve health if you use it regularly.
- Combats depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
A lamp can help to solve these problems. All because UV rays help our body produce serotonin and chemicals in our brain that create our mood, energy, and well-being.
A type of depression, like SAD (or simply winter depression), can occur in many people who depend on the weather. On cloudy and cold days, people don’t get the right amount of natural light, which can make them feel worse. A face tanning lamp can completely replace sunlight and have a positive effect on your mental health.
- Improve sleep quality
Many people on the planet have trouble sleeping, which in some cases can lead to hypersensitivity, chronic fatigue, burnout, and depression. But the tanning lamp will do it like this:
- Vitamin D is produced, which supports excellent and healthy well-being;
- The body increases the level of melatonin ー a hormone that is responsible for sleep;
- Lamp light can help you fall asleep faster by regulating your natural sleep cycle.
Cons and risks
Although there are quite many positive aspects to a tanning lamp, it is principal to consider the other side. Here are a few points that are important to know before using the device:
- Not using UV protection, the skin can be damaged and get burned (just like when sunbathing in the sun);
- There is a list of contraindications, including skin problems, melanoma, and cancer, and it is also forbidden to use for people with many moles or other pigmentation;
- If used incorrectly and excessively, it can cause accelerated skin aging, melanoma, and cancer.
We recommend that you consult a doctor before starting the procedure yourself. He can give you advice for use, according to your skin type, and highlight possible contraindications.
Tips on how to use the face tanning lamp
To get the desired effect, you can follow our guidelines to help you achieve a beautiful skin color without harming it:
- Exfoliate your skin before your session. This will allow the rays to penetrate better and make the tan more intense.
- Use 15-30 SPF cream. It is important to apply sunscreen for protecting your skin from harmful rays and prevent sunburn.
- Protect your eyes from UV radiation. Always wear safety goggles before your session to prevent rays from entering your eyes. Thus, you can protect them from deterioration of vision and over-drying.
- Don’t sit for more than 15 minutes under the lamp. This time is enough to get a tan. If your skin is light, the first few sessions are best done for no more than 10 minutes. You can sunbathe up to 3 times a week.
- Moisturize your skin after your session. This is important so that the dermis isn’t over-dried and irritated after exposure to UV rays. It will also help prevent premature wrinkles.
As you have already figured out, face tanning lamps are effective and safe when used correctly. In addition to beautiful bronzed skin tone, you’ll get vitamin D, melatonin, and serotonin to help fight bad health and sleep. Don’t forget to properly care for the dermis and carry out procedures no more than every two days. It is also worth consulting with a doctor to avoid using a lamp with contraindications. And if you do everything right, then after a few sessions you will get your desired result. Let’s check!